Sunday 23 June 2013

More Monologues...

Hello there people.
Since I have had an extremely busy week this is the first chance that I have had just to sit down and write on the blog for a while.
Manchester Met was A-MA-ZING! I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want to go there as there is such a buzz feeling there and I know Manchester like the back of my hand so it won't feel like I'm entering a foreign country.  
Anyway in other news I have bought a play called Port by Simon Stephens (by the same man who co-wrote the west end show A curious incident of a dog in the night-time.) Basically it's about this girl who comes from Stockport (like me) and just wants to get out, it tells her story from 1988 to 2002.  The main reason for buying this play was for my auditions in December/January because when I went to Manchester Met in the lecture they gave on the Acting course the man said that they wanted pieces which related to you in some way, especially with the contemporary one.
And for me, coming from Stockport and feeling similar things about the place to Racheal (the main character in the story) I just got her and could relate to her on many levels.
From it I have chosen tow bits from the play to try out tomorrow with my Drama teacher to see what she thinks. One of them technically isn't a monologue but it can easily mash together to make something like a monologue.


The first one is when Racheal is 22, it's new years eve in 1999 and she has just been physically assaulted my her Husband in a posh hotel room. He leaves her on the floor.

Stage directions - Stands up after a while. It hurts. She goes to pick up the wine glass. Drains it. Gets the wine bottle from the fridge and refills her glass. She goes where Kevin (The Husband) has dropped her phone and picks it up.
Sits back on the bed. Drinks from her glass. Phones her brother.

Racheal - Billy? It's me, Racheal. How are you? Good lad. Are you? That'll be good won't it? I'm ok love. I'm fine. I don't know. I don't think so. Kevin's had a bit of a bad one mate, you with me? No I'm fine. He's just. I hate him Billy. I want to kill him. I think I might. I fucking could. I bet you. No. I won't. No don't worry about that. I'll be fine. I will. I'll be be magic. I just wanted to talk to you. I was thinking about yer. Got yer perfume on. I have and all. I like it. It's really nice. Oh, fuck him. I think it's lovely. I just wanted to wish you Happy New Year. I now well. I'm doing it early aren't I? Happy New Year. I know. Happy New Century. Happy New Millennium. It's mental int it? Listen Mate, I'm gonna fuck off. I just wanted to, you know, I just wanted to talk to you. No I'll be fine. I'm cracking. Yeah I know. I love you Bill. Well. I do. I'll see you later. You have a good night mate. See you later.

She turns the phone off. Sits up on the bed. Staring out of the window.


Now this second one is when Racheal is 24 years old and it is 2002. She has been living in York for the past 10 months to get away from her abusive husband. She is in a beer garden and is talking to her old friend and ex Danny about what she sees what has changed in stockport while she has been gone.
(Please note people that I have edited this slightly so it will flow well as a monologue.)

Racheal - When I was a kid I used to think the clock tower in the Merseyway was massive. Fucking big skyscraper. I couldn't understand how come, when they had programmes about the tallest buildings in the world, I could't understand why they never mentioned the clock tower in the Merseyway. I went back there at the weekend. It's tiny. Very Squat. Really short. I was quite disappointed. 
Noticed the Viaduct. I'd never really paid any attention to it before. I never really noticed it. But I was looking at it, on my way into town. It's actually, y'know, it's quite impressive. There's something about it.
I noticed  how many pubs  there are. Pub's fucking everywhere in this place. A lot of the shops have changed. Smartened up a bit. Some of them are all right. And I was up at the station. Looking down. Noticed the way the valley curves down. When I was little, Used to love geography. All about continental drift. And the ice age. Stuff like that. And looking at the town centre I could just have imagined what it must of been like. All the ice and that. How it would of settled. See all the curves of where the water was like underneath the sea. That was a bit mad. 
Funny going back into manchester. All that rain. Went in with Billy. It was pissing down. Felt, kind of, it felt all right. Felt like it was meant to be raining here. Felt OK.


^Both these monologues will be on the monologue page if you want to get access to them more easily.
I understand that I don't write many monologues for males and Im sorry guys if you feel like I have a limited sources when it comes to that but I am a female so I will be looking for me.
No I need to get some food to get the alcohol which I consumed last night out of my system.
Cheerio,
Terri ;D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me you're thought's about the post, everyone is free to chirp in ;D