Wednesday 17 September 2014

The Old Vic's A Streetcar Named Desire: The Review.

Hi again,
So yesterday I watched the Old Vic's latest production of A streetcar named desire, directed by Benidict Andrews, via the National Theatre Live scheme at my local cinema.
Having not much knowledge about the play before seeing it, I didn't know what to expect. So I let my Dad tag along and watch it with me.  It was quite ranchy, which made the experiance of watching it with my Dad quite arkward...
But it was brilliant all the same. 
To people who haven't heard of the play, it was written by Tennesse Williams and it was the 1952 movie version of this play that help start Marlon Brando's acting legacy. The play is set in southen america and there are three main characters. Estella, her Husband Stanley and her drunkard sister Miss Dubuoise who has come to stay with them in their tiny place while she gets her life back into order, but its already too late for that.
Gillian Anderson, who play the miserble drunk sister, was good. But I felt that it took her a while to  really get into her role and show us her skills. The real attraction of the play was Stanley himself. As while he didnt have that much to say, he was able to create the tension and the unearthing sense that he was going to snap at any second whenever he came onto the stage.
The play itself was set in the round and the set, ie a see through rectangular apartment, revolved so the audience  members each had a different perspective of the play, an idea which I found unique and interesting to watch.
I would compleatley recomend going to see this play as it was gripping, mesmerising and a utter joy to watch.
In terms of what I'm doing next - in terms of drama school applications -  I've applied for a audition at an agency in manchester and I'm going to be seeing a performance of romeo and juliet at the Victoria Baths in Manchester next week, so I will write a review of that when I have time.
For now though,
Cheerio,
Terri ;D.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me you're thought's about the post, everyone is free to chirp in ;D