Tuesday 9 September 2014

Guildford School of Acting: Open Day

Hi there!
So last Saturday I went to the open day/ tour of the GSA (Guildford School of Acting) facilaties, and to be quite frank. I'm not compleatley sure what my feelings are about the place.
So to give you an overview of the place, I will just tell you the main parts of what I learnt about it.
- The GSA is part of the University of Surrey and is set within its campus. Which is massive.
- GSA is still regarded as a conservatoire however - in being part of the University of Surrey - you do need to get top grades to secure a place (ie AAB/ABB Alevel grades). 
^ This is the part that I don't understand, and what tinges my opinion of the school. As no other drama school, weather associated with a University or not, has such abnormally high academic grade expectations.
- They only offer 36 places and around 1,500 people applied last year
- Has a minimum of 30 contact hours each week and, while it has a core staff unit there teaching full time, they regually have directors come in and give lectures.
-The BA acting course is accedited by Drama UK
- The facilities are fabulous, they even have a Starbucks in the GSA building which is very cool.
- With the audition process they do have regional auditions in some major cities across the UK
-Around 30% of applicants are recalled to the second round.

Overall the day was pretty interesting and I learnt a lot from it. Still uncertain weather I will be applying there but I'll let you know asap.
In terms of the other stuff that I'm up to at the moment,  This is the start of my gap year (which is very terrifying to think about) so I'm in the middle of filling out a vast deal of job applications as well as learning monologues and applying to short acting courses to help boost my drama school applications this year.  Including a drama school audition masterclass week with the National Youth Theatre.
I should be going to a Rose Bruford Open day next week so I will write more about that then.
But until then.
Adios,
Terri ; D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me you're thought's about the post, everyone is free to chirp in ;D