Tuesday 16 September 2014

The Royal Exchange's Hamlet: A review

Hello again,
So many of you will starting to get yourselves ready for all the drama school audition's coming up. I know that with eleven around the corner I just want to get cracking. But first I want to talk about the production of Hamlet which I saw yesterday. Starring Maxine Peakes as a female Hamlet, the first thing that really stood out to me was the gender split of the cast,  which was pratically 50/50, with a large number of male role's being cast as female. I loved that,  mainly because I a great annoyance about the fact that males get a higher proportion of roles in both TV and screen. I Also loved the way the actors used the stage, with it being in the round, it definitely gave the play the edge over other productions of Hamlet,
However, one thing that I wasn't sure of was the young actors used as the players. Now I know that it was to show the link between old members and the new, but for me... it just felt a bit tacky, and took the point away from the meaning of why the actors were being used.

Anyway tonight I'm seeing A streetcar named desire at the Cinema with the NT live scheme.  I've also booked to go to the Rose Bruford open day on thursday and the Guildhall open day next month so things have started to roll now. Cannot wait to start auditioning again.  I'm so excited!
Hope to write some more soon.
Adios,
Terri ;D xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me you're thought's about the post, everyone is free to chirp in ;D