Friday 18 October 2013

Guildhall Audition preparation

Yo gang,
So this morning I'm finding it hard to type as the man of my life - i.e. my kitty Noo Noo - has decided that I am a very good bed so I've got the laptop perched at the edge of my knees to accommodate both the laptop and my man. #worldproblems
Oh and the other one - Smudge - is yowling because she wants more food...
Anyhow enough of my cat problems I wanted to discuss where I am up to with the whole Drama School thing. So I will tell you.

Now that both the play I was in has finished (tank the frigging lord) and collage has broken up for half term for a week + a bit, it has allowed me enough time to get several things sorted.
Firstly I have sent off and paid for my UCAS and CUKAS applications. That means that Manchester Met, Italia Conti and The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (!) should be sending me information soon on what I need to do next! And of course I'm happy that everything is moving now in the right direction in comparison to a few months ago where I was just dithering about with nothing to do on the acting aspect. (I re-read my posts from a few months ago and I sound like a plonker.)

But for the major part of this is where I am at on my preparation for my audition at Guildhall which is on the 6th of November so not that far away really.
Now I know my Shakespeare and contrasting piece off by heart, I could literally say them in my sleep but I am still trying to learn my modern monologue which is proving a problem. I guess it's because I'm trying too hard to learn them that they won't stick.
 But I think that by the time of my audition I will know it, or be very familiar with it.

And then the song choice. Now from all the blogs that I have read with people who I have auditioned at the Guildhall, they have all said that they were not asked to sing at the first round. Now I am not a very good singer, I mean I can hold a tune alright but when people talk all the technical rubbish about singing then I get very confused. I have chosen a song and if I have to sing it (please please no) then I will be singing the second verse and chorus of David Bowie's life on mars, OR the song I stand alone from the Movie a Quest for Camelot (man I love that movie). As I know both and I like both so there.

The interview part though... is nerving me out. Mainly because Guildhall hasn't specified what sort of questions they would ask... if any. So I have gone to the over love of my life (2nd to the cats and family I mean) of the Drama UK website. And the advise they give is...


What happens at the interview?
Most schools interview candidates. There will be a different procedure at each school; some interview all candidates, others only those who have successfully completed another part of the audition. The interview is an opportunity for the audition panel to find out more about you and for you to ask questions too. It is worth thinking about some of the typical questions you may be asked:
  • Why do you want to act?
  • What sort of actor do you want to be?
  • What are your ambitions?
  • What play or film have you seen recently that impressed you and why?
  • Who is your favourite actor and why?
  • Are you applying to any other drama schools?
It is important to think about questions that you may want to ask the panel as well.

I have thought about those questions a great deal actually. My question to them would be about their learning support side of things (since I am dyslexic this is a major part of my decision making side of things.) I already know that they offer accommodation (!) to first year students and that they have a library full of helpful books (I do love a library). In terms of my basic answers for the questions they are likely to ask me are:
Why do you want to act? - Because acting makes me happy (cheesy I know but true) and I want to do a job that makes me happy so acting is the obvious choice.
What sort of actor do you want to be? - Shakespearian mainly but wouldn't turn down a TV or Film role.
What are your ambitions? - To be performing as a Shakespearian actress with the RSC within the next ten years.
What play have you seen recently that impressed you and why?  - I have recently been to see  Midsummer Night's Dream (well I will have, it's next week!!!!!) at the Noel Coward Theatre, I was impressed with it because... (I don't know yet as I still need to see it.)
Who is your favourite actor and why? - Ben Whishaw (Too easy). I love him because he never over plays a part and he acts with his eyes. I particularly enjoyed his performance in Peter and Alice (yes I did go see that) and The Hour.
Are you applying to any other drama schools? - Yes I am applying to six in total but you are the first and I have enjoyed it immensely. (Latter a possible lie but will go with it anyway.)

Transport and the hotel is mostly paid for. Since my Audition starts at 9:15 I intend to set off at 7 ish as the tube takes around an hour at that time of the morning from where we are staying so we (i.e. mum and me) should make it in good time.
Then a train back home and back in sunny stockport (depending on my mood as at Guildhall they tell you the results of the recall on the day.)

I am going to bugger off now as my cats are annoying me.
Toodiloo
Terri :D



P.S my man say hi.















1 comment:

Tell me you're thought's about the post, everyone is free to chirp in ;D