Thursday 26 June 2014

Applying to drama school: How to get started

Hi again,
So it has been just over a week since I had to worry about revision for exams and trying not to have panic attacks before every exam.  And I have been enjoying the experiance immensely. Since then I have experiance my first night out clubbing with my friend's, which was... interesting. And Ive been going to the movies to catch up on all the good films that I've missed.
Note: If you are planning on going to see The Fault in our Stars then bring plenty of tisssue's, it gets emotional
But to cut the crap I realise that it is time to start getting ready for next years round of auditions. And as I was starting to get my stuff ready I realised both how much there is to do and how tough this was last year to do without any help.
So here are the top tips on starting to apply to drama schools:
1. Start the research now
This may seem like an obvious thing to be doing but I know the question "but where should I start my research". To start off your research I would suggest checking out the Drama Uk website (http://www.dramauk.co.uk), This is the organisation which accredits courses which meet a high quality standard in training actors, and lists all the school's with some basic infomation about them. The website also includes articles on advice on how to apply and what to expect in the audition process.
Another website which is brilliant to check out is CUKAS. (http://www.cukas.ac.uk/) This isa website owned by UCAS and is brilliant in talking you tthrough the application process for both UCAS and CUKAS applications.
2. Get organised
This means gathering all the research that you've done so far and putting it in a file (either a digital or paper) where you can refer back to it to make an informed decision on where you want to apply in the following months to come.
I would suggest that you file the infomation into cattegories such as " course overviews", "audition procedure" etc.
3. Open Days
I know that there aren't that many schools that offer open days but I would seriously advise you to get to as many as you can afford to go to, That way you can get a feel of a school without having wasted a UCAS place when applying.
4. Figure out what you want from a drama school education.
With the infomation you have researched you should now be able to figure out what you want from a drama school. This will then help you cut out the infomation you don't need and allow you to consentrate your efforts into the schools which suit you.

Hope this helps,
Hasta la vista
Terri ; D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me you're thought's about the post, everyone is free to chirp in ;D