Wednesday 29 July 2015

Plans

Hello all,
So I'm almost at the end of my gap year, which is quite terrifying because it means that I've having to begin looking at the different options I have for next year. Now as I didn't get into drama school, I won't be setting down to London in september as I would of wanted to. However another year out means another year full of potential oppotunities. Especially because after the National youth theatre course this summer I will be able to apply for the different options they offer such as their Rep company,  summer casting and Playing up course.
But like me if you are trying to plan a year out and fit it around drama school auditions then you should consider the following:
- Employment - Do you get a job, and if so do you want a full time or part time job?  Consider your skill set and what vaccencies will be flexible enough for you to attend auditions. For example this last year I had a 30 hour p/w Christmas job as a customer assistant then opted for a Saturday job as a librarian after the Christmas period. This allowed me to get enough for the auditions and travel expenses but then I was able to persue theatre work and have enough to tidy me over for the rest of the year. This worked particually well for me but everyone is different.
- Travel - Do you travel? If so where and for how long for? It is important to understand thatddrama school auditions are between November and May so you should try and avoid that period for traveling in. It's also important to consider the costs of the trip and would you have enough for both traveling and auditions. - I didn't go traveling this year due to financial difficulties however I am planning to apply for Camp America next summer if I don't receive any offers from the national youth theatre, and go see my relatives in Australia during their winter.
- Education - Have you considered applying to other short term courses that are related or non-related to acting and theatre work? It is common knowledge that only a tiny percentage of actors are working full time, therefore it is essential to have a wide skill set to see you through the tough times and a gap year may be the perfect oppotunity to gain skills. - This last year I have been working towards gaining a LAMDA diploma;  which is equivilant to a A-level in English but also means that I would be qualified to teach drama in schools. Whilst I have no intention of becoming a full time drama tutor it gives me options for the future.
Theatre work - whether you intend to persue professional or non-professional acting work, you have before you a whole year to do exactly what you love doing the most, acting! Whatever sort of theatre work you love doing,  spend some time looking at all your local theatre's and see if they are auditioning for new members, I would reccomend looking at the major theatre's in your nearest city too as they will probably be able to offer more oppotunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me you're thought's about the post, everyone is free to chirp in ;D